Etymological "Holy shit, no way!"-s
Did you know that...
- ... bichon is related to bitch?
- I mean, I guess it's not too surprising, but...
- ... all definitions of check derive from its use in chess?
- Yes, all of them.
- ... crap is related to crop?
- The original definition was "grain husk" which devolved into "something of crap quality" and finally into crap, which is pretty crappy.
- ... faggot is related to fascist?
- Both are descended from Latin fascis 'bundle of sticks', whence also the English loan fasces, the proper term for the bundle.
- ... the name of # (hash) is related to hatchet?
- Both come for the Old French for axe.
- ... rudder is derived from a suffixed form of row?
- The term used to refer to both oars and rudders, but gradually narrowed to just meaning 'rudder'.